Are you wondering if it is safe to sleep in a room flooded with water? 1 in 50 insured homes experience water damage as a result of flooding or freezing each year. If you are sleeping in a water-damaged room then you could be breathing in air that could cause you health problems.
How can you tell if there is mold growth or poor air quality in a room flooded with water? Do you want to learn more about flood health risks and how to address water damage? Here is everything you need to know about sleeping in a water-damaged room.
The air quality in your bedroom can affect how well you sleep. Research has shown that people who experience high levels of air pollution were 60% more likely to sleep poorly.
If you are sleeping in a room flooded with water you could be breathing in mold and other toxins that could harm your health.
Those who suffer from asthma or allergies will suffer more when exposed to dampness and mold. Humans spend an average of 16 hours in the home every day which can mean we are exposed to mold fragments and spores that could cause chronic health problems such as asthma and reduced lung function.
Damp and mold in poorly ventilated rooms can cause nasal congestion, wheezing, coughing, and throat irritation.
The first thing you should do if you suspect you have a water-damaged room is to assess the damage. Once you know what type of damage you are dealing with, you can begin the water damage restoration process. Assessing the damage will also determine whether you need to contact a plumber.
If a toilet or pipe has leaked into your home then you must address the damage immediately. Dirty water flooding can lead to health problems and further water damage if left untreated. Once the water has been removed you must disinfect the area to prevent fungus, mold, and viruses that could harm your health. Emergency water damage technicians use a special anti-microbial spray to help disinfect and prevent bacteria growth.
Black water flooding is dangerous as it could pose a serious health risk. Black water may contain hazardous waste, raw sewage, and infectious microbes. You must remove any standing water from the flooded area.
Although it may be tempting to handle it yourself, it is best to call a professional who can use their specialized equipment to ensure all the hidden water damage is removed.
Mold can spread and grow quickly in a room flooded with water. It is important to deal with any mold immediately to avoid health implications. Short-term exposure can irritate the eyes, nose, and mouse while long-term exposure can cause long-term health issues.
Whether your basement has flooded or your bedroom, it is important to deal with water damage as soon as you can to avoid long-term effects. Sleeping in a room flooded with water or mold can negatively impact your sleep quality and your health.
If you are concerned about flood health risks and want to inspect your home for water damage, contact the experts at Quick Stop Restoration Services.